It’s been a long while since my last Scottie update, so I thought I’d fill you in on all things baby today! Being Scottie’s mother is truly my greatest joy and biggest blessing. It’s the most rewarding and absolutely exhausting job in the world and I’m trying to soak up every second of it as it’s already proven to go by way too fast!
At 8 months old, Scottie is constantly babbling and mimicking us and can say four words: Mama, Dada, Thank You, and Uh Oh! I’m not really sure if “Uh Oh” counts but we’re just gonna go with it. Also, funny story about her learning to say “Thank You.” We weren’t trying to get her to say it but taught her how to give kisses and would always tell her “Thank You!” after she kissed us and she started repeating us.
Scottie is such a love bug and likes to snuggle, hug, and give kisses…when she’s not on the move…which is basically all the time. She started crawling a few weeks ago which took Colton and I by surprise because she’d been army crawling for a few months and at that point we just figured that’s what she’d continue to do until she started walking. She loves to pull herself up onto anything and everything and walks along all of the furniture in our house.
She has reached the age where toys don’t interest her nearly as much as anything she isn’t supposed to have. She especially loves my phone, Colton’s tennis shoes, and Huck’s (our dog) water bowl. This stage is definitely my favorite so far (I do miss those newborn cuddles though) and something tells me it will just keep getting better!
Keep in mind this changes on a daily basis and is just a rough outline of what our days are like. 🙂
- 7:00-7:30am: Wake up!
- 7:30-7:45am: Eat (milk)
- 7:45-9:30am: Play while mama gets stuff done. She’s always the happiest first thing in the morning and is usually pretty content in her jumperoo (quite literally the best baby purchase EVER) while I go back and forth between playing with her and doing some chores around the house.
- 9:30-10:00am: Eat breakfast. This is usually oatmeal cereal mixed with fruits or a fruit puree of some sort.
- 10:00-10:30am: Play
- 10:30-11:00am: Nap. This nap is very hit or miss and is usually only around 20 minutes. Scottie sleeps great at night so I can’t complain but the struggle of getting her to take naps is very real.
- 11:00-11:15am: Eat (milk)
- 11:15am-1:00pm: Run errands. If I have any quick errands to get done like grocery shopping, I’ll do it during this time. We also sometimes do activities with my moms group. Mainly, we just like to get out of the house during this time!
- 1:00-1:15pm: Eat (milk)
- 1:15-3:00pm: Nap. Again, naps are pretty hit or miss around here. She usually falls asleep pretty easily but once she’s up, she’s up and ready to get out of her crib whether that be 30 minutes or two hours later.
- 3:00-5:00pm: Play/hang out as a family. Colton gets home from work around 3:30-4pm so we like to have family time before she eats dinner and starts her bed time routine. I also sometimes use this time to go run any other errands I need to get done.
- 5:00-5:30pm: Eat dinner. She’s currently starting to transition from purees to finger foods. Tonight she ate avocado, rice, black beans, and strawberries and made a huge mess and loved every second of it!
- 5:30-5:45pm: Bath
- 5:45-6:45pm: Colton plays with her while I get stuff done around the house or I play with her while he cooks our dinner.
- 6:45-7:00pm: Eat (milk)
- 7:00pm: Bedtime
Scottie still hasn’t met a food she doesn’t like, so that is definitely at the top of the list! She also loves looking at herself in the mirror, giving kisses (especially to herself in the mirror), anything she’s not supposed to have, Huckleberry (our dog), and exploring/getting into everything!
Overall, Scottie is a pretty chill and happy baby but the two things she REALLY dislikes are being alone and being contained. My mom jokes that she requires a 4 foot rule. She’s happy as long as you’re within four feet of her. She also doesn’t like being contained (in an exersaucer or jumperoo) for too long now that she’s constantly on the move. But I still stand by the jumperoo being the best purchase ever! She loved that thing for a good three months which is a long time in baby time. She’s still content in it for a good 20 minutes each morning which is also a long time in baby time, lol.
Products we love:
- Silicone Bibs: I bought quite a few cute cloth bibs before Scottie was born and use a whopping zero of them. Girlfriend likes to make a huge mess when she eats and it’s way easier to just wipe these off than add to the never-ending pile of laundry.
- Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard: Well, I love the playpen. Scottie is still warming up to it. I saw my friend Keri post about it and immediately ordered it. It’s collapsible so you can easily take it with you from room to room or to the park/beach/etc. and it’s big enough to fit quite a few of her toys in it and give her a little space to move around.
- Fisher-Price Remote Control: We take this and her Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes on any errands we run and they totally help keep her entertained.
- VTech Magic Star Learning Table: Scottie loves to stand and play with this! She’s obsessed with the little plastic cellphone and likes to press all of the buttons.
- IKEA High Chair: This is easily in my top 5 baby purchases. I love that it’s white so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb with our home decor and it’s all plastic so it’s really easy to wipe up. Oh, and did I mention it’s only $20?? This shop sells a bunch of cute covers for it if the all white is too plain for your liking.