I decided to skip out on resolutions this year and instead focus on monthly goals. I find that I have a hard time sticking to year-long goals (although I did manage to give up soda as my 2018 resolution!) and rather than feeling defeated, I’m going to try breaking up each month with smaller and more attainable goals. I’ll be kicking off each month sharing my goals and how I did with my previous month’s goals so that it can hopefully help keep me accountable and more motivated towards reaching them.
- Read at least one book. I already have it picked it out (see here) and can’t wait to get started!
- It’s probably no surprise after seeing what book I’ll be reading that my next goal is to get organized! We actually did a lot of organizing and purging when I was pregnant with Scottie (nesting is a very real thing!) and then again during the move. However, I still feel like there is so much more to be done and like I’m constantly cleaning up clutter around the house. The biggest area needing organization that I’ve totally neglected is my closet. We had a small closet in our old master bedroom so I only kept that season’s clothes in it and put the rest in our storage unit. Rather than getting rid of clothes when switching from Spring/Summer to Fall/Winter, I’d just throw them all in a bin and put them in the storage unit. Needless to say, I’ve got some work to do!
- To go along with #2, I want to add a ton of items to my Poshmark. I’ll be sure to update you when I do!
- Go on a date with my husband. It’s sad that I need to make this one a goal because I absolutely love going on dates but it gets a lot harder to actually make them happen these days. I’m definitely going to make it a top priority this month!
- Meditate every day. I love using the Headspace app!
- Write in my 52 Lists for Happiness journal each week.
- Focus on time management. Since becoming a mother, this one has been really hard for me. In order to be the best mom and wife I can be, it’s important I set time limits around when I work. It means really making the most of getting stuff done before Scottie wakes up (assuming it’s after 5:30am, lol) and during her nap times because it’s also important that I spend time with my husband in the evenings. This one is a constant battle for me but something I’m determined to work on this year!
- Post at least 2x per week for a total of 10 posts this month! I’ve already knocked out 2 so I’ve got 8 more to go…and I’m so excited for what’s to come!
- Less scrolling and more creating! During Scottie’s nap time, it can feel so much easier to just sit on the couch and mindlessly scroll through my phone for an hour rather than getting to work. However, I found that it didn’t leave me feeling very fulfilled professionally in 2018 and it’s something I’m determined to change.
- Work ahead of schedule. This one is a must for me in order to stay motivated. Before having Scottie, it was easy for me to set a deadline for the same day and get it done because I didn’t have any other obligations to occupy me. Now that I have a toddler with an ever-changing schedule (how is she already starting to fight naps?!) I need to make sure I’m working ahead because it’s inevitable I’ll have those days where it feels impossible to get any work done. I’ve already started creating a content calendar for January and February to help me stick to this!
I’m looking forward to start working towards these goals and can’t wait to recap how I did next month! Did you make any resolutions and/or goals for the new year? If so, I’d love to hear what they are!